CITY ATTORNEY, CITY OF JACKSONVILLE BEACH
Expires: Open until filled.
The City of Jacksonville Beach is seeking an attorney to lead its legal efforts. The individual will partner with elected officials and staff to solve problems while also being a supporter and a trusted advisor. The individual will have an understanding of politics and working in a municipal environment. The City Attorney will give all seven members of the City Council the same information and keep them all equally and well informed.
The best candidate will have outstanding communications and interpersonal skills. The City Attorney will interact with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and economic strata. He/she will need to be open and approachable. Excellent listening skills are critical. It will be essential that the City Attorney be viewed as cooperative, and easy to work with. It will be important that he/she be able to build consensus both inside and outside the government.
The best candidate will be an exceptional manager, someone who is just as comfortable in the City Attorney role overseeing day-to-day legal operations as in practicing the law. He/she will understand and have experience with budgets and setting priorities.
The best candidate will have experience across the spectrum of municipal law with particular experience in land development and community redevelopment.
Education & Experience
• Juris Doctor degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school and current membership in good standing with the Florida Bar Association are required
• City, County and Local Government Law Certification from the Florida Bar is required within a negotiated length of time
• Minimum of ten years’ experience in municipal law, or five years’ experience in Florida local government practice
• A valid Florida Driver’s License is required
• This position is subject to a criminal, civil, and financial background check, and verification of previous employment, education, and professional credentials
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $154,000 to $214,000 dependent upon education and experience. The City of Jacksonville Beach offers a competitive benefits package which is outlined in detail in the link below.
Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/jaxbchfl; click the link “City Attorney” then “Apply” in the upper right-hand corner. A cover letter, detailed resume and law school transcripts are required. Please be sure all are attached to the application. Finalist interviews will be conducted by the City Council.
You can also see job opportunities on the CCLGL Section website at: https://www.cclgl.org/resources/job-opportunities/.